Somerset Postal History
Sunday, 19 May 2013
Wiveliscombe - part 4
Wiveliscombe was made a Railway Sub-Office (R.S.O.) in October 1874, and remained one until 1905 when the "R.S.O." terminology was abandoned, when it became a Sub-Office/Post Town.
The "WIVELISCOMBE R.S.O. / SOMERSET" cancel remained in use after 1905 (see the first item below).
It was eventually replaced with a "WIVELISCOMBE - S.O. / SOMERSET" double-circle, double-arc cancel - here are two examples used in 1914 and 1915.
In November 1919 Wiveliscombe came under Taunton again - here is a "WIVELISCOMBE / TAUNTON.SOM" cancel from 1942.
Share to Twitter
Share to Facebook
Share to Pinterest
Post a Comment
Post Comments (Atom)