Wednesday 3 May 2023

Edington, Frome, Huntspill random postmarks

 In a fit of madness I have started a Catalogue of the Postal Markings of Somerset, available online at https://sites.google.com/site/sanddphg/home/somerset-ph-catalogue.  It does not include the marks of the post offices under Bristol which can already be found at https://sites.google.com/site/bristolphg/home/offices-under-bristol.  

This means that this blog can now contain any postmark from Somerset (& Bristol & elsewhere) that I haven't seen before or that has a new date - however poor or potentially boring an example it is !

Edington is a new Post Office to me ...

... while I did not have this particular Frome cancel.  To distinguish similar cancels I find the best approach is to scan the cancels, fiddle with one to make the background transparent and then overlay one on top of the other.  This can add a fair bit of time to processing a new cover.

The only postmarks I'd had from Huntspill previously were UDCs - here is a more modern one from 1960 - which I call a "double circle double blob" cancel.





No comments:

Post a Comment