Sunday 13 September 2015

Would anyone believe me ?

I have an entire, written in Stogursey, and posted to Stogumber on 28th November 1851. It has some undated circular handstamps that would extend the known usage dates for Stogursey (where it was posted) and Cannington (on the route into Bridgewater).

Unfortunately all the interesting strikes are very very poor !  Below on the left is a bright red "STOGURSEY" UDC overstruck by a red/brown "CANNINGTON" UDC.

Here is a larger image of the UDCs:

Do you believe me ?  ... I'm not sure I believe me, but I'm sure that is what the strikes should be, and there are hints that the interpretation is correct  ... but definitely not good enough to go into the UDC catalogue of Somerset & Dorset that the S&DPHG is updating.

Even the Bridgewater "123" numeric obliterator is a poor strike.

No comments:

Post a Comment