Wednesday 28 September 2011

Getting to the rest of Somerset

My posts for the last couple of months have been very Bath-centric, to the exclusion of the rest of Somerset.  Well, while I've been posting my earlier Bath material up here, I've also been writing up all the covers/fronts/entires/wrappers that I've got (but not the postmarks on piece or the commercial cancellations) from the rest of Somerset - to a basic standard as a way of getting them under some semblance of control !

According to my inventory spreadsheet, I've got postmarks from 178 places out of an estimated 533 (33%).  I've got about 390 sheets in 12 binders, plus another 60 sheets of postcards illustrating some of the places in Somerset.  Apart from the letters "Q", "V", "X" and "Z"  I've got material that is going to be useful for most alphabet evenings at my local society.

I'm sure you can see the "stamp collector" coming out here !

I've still got some more Bath to post up - I think I'll continue with that to give a feel for the range that can be associated with a major postal centre.

But just as a brief aside, here's a cover that has me perplexed - why was this Chard Penny Post entire charged 2d ?

No comments:

Post a Comment