Monday 25 July 2011

Initial Steps - How to Write Up the Material

I like to have a "house style" so that my material is written up consistently.  It makes for a nice looking display at a local Society meeting.  On the other hand I'm not interested in Exhibiting, so do not need to be ultra-precise on how I show things.

I normally display my stamp collections on reasonably heavy (100 gsm) white A4 paper and use glass clear A4 pockets to put the pages in binders for storage, and for display at a local Society meeting. I see no reason to do anything differently for Postal History.

I've written up my stamp collections using Word and again see no reason to change this.  Using "View - Header and Footer" one can insert things like borders and headings into the standard layout for a page, so I end up with a fairly plain style, with a ruled border around the edge and a heading at the top left, either "SOMERSETSHIRE" or the name of a major Post Town (eg. "BATH").

The other major thing I setup (having learnt from past experience) is a separate directory on my PC to hold the write-ups, and I decide to create an initial set of documents to at least hold the more minor places - so I've got files for A, B, C....U/V, W, Y.  No "Z" because I haven't found anywhere in Somerset beginning with Z, and I merged "U" and "V" because I only found one possible place beginning with "V".

Here's an example (click on the image to expand it):

No comments:

Post a Comment