Sunday 29 January 2017

Alphabetical Tour of Recent Acquisitions - A - B

Having reached over 600 posts, the next batch of posts are an alphabetical tour through Somerset, not chosen with any particular theme or purpose, but because I have been writing up new items from a collection that I acquired about 6 months ago.

In my early days of collecting Somerset postal history I wanted a catalogue (coming from collecting stamps that was the obvious way to proceed).  The British County Catalogue covered the early handstamps but it was a little while before I found Ken Smith's post office lists (now available online here).  Together with a copy of "Postal Addresses, 1972" from the GPO I constructed a spreadsheet to log my "capture" of the different post offices.

I have got just over 600 different offices in this spreadsheet, of which I have examples of only about 360 (60%).  This total of 600 is a significant underestimate as I don't currently distinguish between an office that has had multiple different head offices (for example Ashbrittle came under Wellington and under Taunton) - the true total to shoot for is probably close to 1000 just counting the post offices, never mind the different types of cancel that each has had over time.

Anyway, on to my Alphabetical Tour of Recent Acquisitions - which starts with Ashbrittle from 1910 (under Wellington).

... Barrington from 1924 ("Will write again Monday; there is no collection of letters here tomorrow (Sunday)".

... Barrow Gurney, a Climax Rubber cancel from 1907.

... Bason Bridge from 1939

... Bridgetown, a postcard from 1935 and a philatelic registered cover from 1980

... Burlescombe in Devon from 1926

... and finally Burrowbridge (originally Boroughbridge) from 1922.

No comments:

Post a Comment