Wednesday 20 November 2013

Bristol 5th Clause and Penny Posts

Although Bristol is not in Somerset, it had Fifth Clause and Penny Posts that extended into Somerset as well as into South Gloucestershire.  The map below shows the Bristol local posts c. 1830.

I'm afraid that I've suffered from "scope creep" so the next posts are going to cover Bristol posts in both Somerset and Gloucestershire - I've covered some of these before so there will be a small amount of repitition.

I'll start with the 5th Clause Posts - Bristol had two, one to the south to Axbridge from 1805 to 1816 that I've already covered briefly here, and one to the north to Thornbury.

Here are some entires from the 5th Clause Post to Thornbury, the 2nd and 3rd sheets showing two different Bristol 5th Clause Post handstamps.  The Bristol Postal History Group have identified five different 5th Clause handstamps that were only used on the Thornbury ride.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment