Wednesday 6 February 2013

Taunton - Introduction and Straight-line Handstamps

Firstly an introduction to Taunton from Pigot's 1830 Commercial Directory:

The first handstamp for Taunton in the British County Catalogue is from 1704; I don't have any of the first three handstamps (which are rarity H, H & Z).  The first handstamp I can show is from 1731-1746.  There is no date on the wrapper that I can spot.  [Having just looked at this post, I've updated the write-up - the final postal charge was "1N4" which was shorthand for "1/4", the rate for four sheets or an ounce.]

The next handstamp I can offer is on a free front from 1759-1769.  One can narrow the date range down a little because the MP only sat from 1761-1766.

There are then five more handstamps in the BCC that I haven't got, until this straight line handstamp from 1791, with a Bishop mark to set the date.




No comments:

Post a Comment