Wednesday 30 May 2012

Bristol - part 2

Continuing with Bristol, my next is from 1825:
The item below is one I bought as being of more direct relationship to my Somerset Postal History interest as I could see from the address (Thornbury) and the "PAID / AT / BRISTOL" handstamp that it was probably in the Bristol Fifth Clause Post.  It was only when I examined it later that I discovered that it originated in Keynsham (so Somerset).

The next item has a "SO. PETHERTON" undated handstamp (so Somerset) but also a nice "Missent / to / Bristol" handstamp.  I'm somewhat confused by the postal charge - is what I read as a "9" actually a "5" ?

The final item also has me scratching my head about the postal charge - I read the manuscript charge as 9d, which would be for 80-120 miles, yet Bristol was 122 miles from London.  Have I misread the manuscript charge, or was the mileage to London adjusted by 1838 ?

No comments:

Post a Comment